Upcoming & Past Events
2019 Spring/Summer Events:
- 31st January
The Night of the Big Wind, 6th January 1839
- 28th February
Deirdre Kelly Commemorative Lecture - The Sinking of the RMS Leinster, 10th October 1918
- 28th March
The Battle of the Four Courts June 1922
- 25th April
Lundy Foot, Dublin Snuff Manufacturer
- 30th May
The Gaelic League in Dublin 1893-1913: twenty years a-growing?
- 15th June
Visit to the Tenement House, (Saturday) 14 Henrietta Street.
2018 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 27th September
Gordon Brewster – a Dublin newspaper cartoonist and his work 1922-1932.
- 25th October
The O’Carroll family of Rathgar: their role in education, medicine and the church.
- 29th November
St Mary’s College and its place in the history of Rathmines.
- 13th December
Members’ Night – Variety of Topics.
2018 Spring/Summer Events:
- 25th January
The Kearney Hangings in Bohernabreena 1815/16
- 22nd February
Deirdre Kelly Commemorative Lecture
Surgeons, Starlets and Storytellers: a History of Women in Dublin's South-East during the 20th Century
- 29th March The Bogs of Ireland
- 26th April The Moravians in Dublin
- 31st May Alfie Byrne, Lord Mayor of Dublin
- 2nd June (Saturday) 2.30 pm
Visit to Martello Tower No 7 Killiney
2017 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 28th September The Dublin City Sports Archive
- 26th October The Fenian Rising in Tallaght 1867 – 150 years ago
- 30th November Toastmasters International, Rathmines College and its students
- 14th December Members’ Night – Variety of Topics
2017 Spring/Summer Events:
- 26th January The British army presence in Dublin
- 23rd February DEIRDRE KELLY COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE Bram Stoker’s Dublin and the writing of Dracula
- 30th March Sydney Owenson, Lady Morgan
- 27th April The Fitzwilliams of Merrion – the last of the line
- 25th May Forger, freemason, freeman: the story of Samuel Clayton, Dubliner
- 17th June
Outing: The Little Museum of Dublin, 15 St
Stephen’s Green and the Huguenot Graveyard, Merrion Row
Followed by coffee (Venue to be arranged). Meet outside the museum at 2.00 pm.
2016 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 29th September The Dublin Paving Board (1774-1847): Management of Georgian Dublin's Streets. Illustrated.
- 27th October (deferred from May) Things you did not know about the Statues and Sculptures of Dublin.* Illustrated.
- 24th November Lives, Letters, Liberty – Dublin’s General Post Office. Illustrated.
- 15th December Members’ Night – Variety of Topics Illustrated.
2016 Spring/Summer Events:
- 28th January From Meath of the Pastures to Smithfield. Illustrated.
- 18th February
DEIRDRE KELLY COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE
Dublin Schools prior to 1831. Illustrated.
- 31st March The Jacob’s Garrison & Portobello Bridge Easter 1916. Illustrated.
- 28th April Ireland and Argentina. Illustrated.
- 26th May Things you did not know about the Statues and Sculptures of Dublin.
- 12th June (Sunday)
Visit to the Irish Jewish Museum. 3 Walworth Road, Dublin 8
Meeting at the museum at 12.00 noon.
2015 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 24th September The Boyne Way - from Drogheda to Navan. Illustrated.
- 29th October Gone but not Forgotten – the Church of Ireland Graveyards of the City of Dublin. Illustrated.
- 26th November World War One and the Dublin Townships. Illustrated.
- 10th December Members’ Night – Variety of Topics
2015 Spring/Summer Events:
- 29th January The 1914-1919 War Memorial, Holy Trinity Church, Rathmines. Illustrated.
- 26th February
DEIRDRE KELLY COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE
The Building of Rathmines & Rathgar Catholic Churches. Illustrated.
- 26th March Electricity – Ireland’s Invisible Power. Illustrated.
- 30th April Mount Jerome – a Protestant cemetery. Illustrated.
- 28th May The Theatre Royal. Illustrated.
- 6th June Donnybrook Walking Trail (Saturday). Meet at the entrance to The Royal Hospital Donnybrook, Bloomfield Avenue (off Morehampton Road) at 2.00 p.m. Illustrated.
2014 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 25th September The Monica Roberts Collection of Letters from the Front, 1914-1918. Illustrated.
- 30th October 'Guns & Hoses'; Dublin Fire Brigade & the Irish Revolution. Illustrated. Please note, prior to this talk: a short event will take place in The MART 190a Rathmines Road Lower (a few doors from the Town Hall, the site of the old fire brigade station) to mark the centenary of the opening of the Fire Station). All welcome, assemble at 7.30p.m.
- 27th November Count Casimir Markievicz. Illustrated.
- 11th December Members’ Night – Variety of Topics
2014 Spring/Summer Events:
- 30th January The Treasures of the Guinness Archive. Illustrated.
- 27th February
DEIRDRE KELLY COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE
All Quiet on the Southern Front: The South Circular Road on the Eve of World War I. Illustrated.
- 27th March A Life of Marvellous Grit: Joseph Plunkett, Youngest 1916 Leader. Illustrated.
- 24th April The Battle of Clontarf in Irish History and Legend Illustrated.
- 29th May The Arrival of the Sisters of St. Louis in Rathmines. Illustrated.
- 21st June (Saturday) Walking Tour of John Speed’s Dublin 1610. Meet at Front Gate of Trinity College at 2.30 p.m. WALK TO LAST APPROX 1.30 HOURS.
2013 Autumn/Winter Events:
- 26th September Woolworths and the Irish main street Illustrated.
- 31st October
RATHMINES LIBRARY CENTENARY LECTURE
The Gaelic League in Dublin in 1913: 20 years a-growing? Venue: Rathmines Library, 157 Lr. Rathmines Road, Dublin 6
- 28th November Another side of 1916. Rathmines love letters. Illustrated.
- 12th December Members’ Night – Variety of Topics
2013 Spring/Summer Events:
- 31st January The Liberties of Dublin Illustrated.
- 28th February Deirdre Kelly Commemorative Lecture - Life as a Cameraman
- 28th March The Desperate Fight to Save the Harvest of 1946: the Severe Winter of 1946 - 1947 Illustrated.
- 25th April Club, Pub and Patriots of Milltown Illustrated.
- 30th May The Rathmines and Rathgar Musical Society: 100 Years Illustrated.
- 29th June (Saturday) Summer Visit to Pearse Museum, St. Enda’s Park, Grange Road, Rathfarnham Meet at the entrance at 2.30 p.m. Bus Route 16 from City Centre. Get off at the stop opposite the park on Grange Rd; Car park available.
2012 Spring/Summer Events:
- 27th September A Tale of Two Cities? - 19th Century Dublin. Illustrated.
- 25th October Andrew Carnegie - The Library Man Illustrated.
- 29th November New York in Sections - Katy Doyle's Postcards, 1906- 1908 Illustrated.
- 13th December Members' Night – Variety of Topics. Presented by Members and Friends
- 26th January Dunsoghly Castle and the Plunkett Family
- 23rd February Deirdre Kelly Commemorative Lecture, William Martin Murphy - Patriot and Entrepreneur
- 29th March Dublin’s Victorian Heritage
- 26th April Centenary of Girl Guides
- 31st May A look at Dublin in 1911
- 30th June (Saturday)
Tour of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, St. Stephen’s Green
Meet at the entrance on York Street at 2 p.m.
2011 Autumn Events:
- Thur 29th Sept 400 years of Dublins oldest map
- Thur 27th Oct Richard Turner of Ballsbridge, Victorian Conservatory Designer and Engineer: Botanic Gardens at Kew, Belfast and Dublin. Illustrated.
- Thur 24th Nov A Dublin Memoir of Queen St / Smithfield 1940 - 1950. Illustrated.
- Thur 8th Dec Members' Night - Variety of Topics
2011 Spring/Summer Events:
27th January: Dublin Zoo, a History (by Catherine de Courcy)
24th February: DEIRDRE KELLY COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE - The Spanish Flu in Dublin, 1918 (by Jessie Walsh)
31st March: Dublin Churches of St Nicholas (by Liam O'Meara)
28th April: Ireland's First Railway (by Jim Scannell)
26th May: Ranelagh Balloon Ascent (by Brian McMahon)
18th June (Sat): Visit to NAtional Print Museum in the Old Garrison Chapel of BEggars Bush BArracks, HAddington Rd, Dublin 4.
Meet outside at 3.00.
Thursday 30th September 2010 at 8.00: Talk: Bridges over the Liffey (by Gerard Hoey. Illustrated)
Thursday 28th October 2010 at 8.00: Talk: History of the Grand Canal (by Mick Kinahan. Illustrated)
Thursday 25th November 2010 at 8.00: Talk: From the Bleeding Horse to Ranelagh (by Brendan Ellis. Illustrated)
Thursday 9th December at 8.00:Members' Night - Variety of Topics (by Members and Friends)